Friday, May 7, 2010

{stuffed}

I had a predicament on my hands this week. I had a bunch of leftover mushrooms and tomatoes left over from the graduation party this last weekend, and I haven't been quite sure what to do as D doesn't particularly love either vegetable. We had success with the tomato soup. Then miracles happened when I stuffed some mushrooms three nights ago. Oh my gosh. I was so mad I didn't whip out the camera. They were delicious! So, I decided I would try my luck with stuffed tomatoes tonight. While I loved them, D was not a fan (too much tomato-ness), though I will admit the mushrooms won my heart over a million times. We also didn't time the potatoes quite perfectly either, but it still tasted delicious. Here's the basic recipe for stuffed mushrooms- the principle is the same for the tomatoes, though I would recommend cooking them much longer :)

Mushrooms (I used baby portobellos)
onion, finely chopped
garlic, finely minced
whole wheat bread crumbs
spinach, finely chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper
Parmesan

Pull out the mushroom stems and chop finely.
Using very little olive oil, saute the onions and garlic until soft.
Add the chopped mushroom stems and saute until soft.
Add in spinach and bread crumbs until you reach a nice crumbly consistency, add water/broth as needed.

Use a spoon to scoop out enough mixture to tightly stuff into each mushroom.
Place mushrooms on a lightly greased baking sheet (I used Pam).
Sprinkle grated Parmesan over mushrooms.
Baked at 350 F for 30 minutes or so until golden and crisp on top.
Yum!

Feel free to add spices if you want! I added dill to the tomatoes which was awesome.

0 love notes: