Saturday, September 13, 2008

{potato and tomato gallettes}

I came across this recipe on Martha's website (thanks Marth) a few days ago. I thought it sounded really good and would be especially great since I already had everything on hand. Since I didn't have red potatoes or fresh thyme on hand, I just used normal potatoes and dried thyme. I think the waxiness of red potatoes would be ideal, so I intend to try this recipe again to compare. Feel free to substitute whatever fresh herb you love and have on hand. The edges of the potato got super delicious and crispy, almost like a potato chip (but a million times better for you since they're baked and cooked with olive oil). I especially loved the roasted tomato on top. All in all, I think this one is a keeper. Enjoy!

2 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
1 t thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
1/2 t salt
3 medium potatoes (about 3/4 lb total), cut crosswise into 1/8 inch think rounds
1 medium tomato (about 1/2 lb), cut crosswise into 8 slices

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a baking sheet lightly with oil. In a small bowl mix thyme, olive oil, and salt. Add potatoes and toss to coat.
Arrange potatoes on prepared baking sheet, overlapping sliced slightly in a spiral (about 5 inches in diameter each- I used about 6-7 slices per round). Add tomatoes to bowl with remaining oil and turn to coat. Place two tomato sliced on top of each potato round. Bake until potatoes are tender and edges are beginning to brown, 15-22 minutes (mine needed the full 22 minutes). Garnish with thyme.

**Be careful to measure the oil. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't really estimate well. I think mine had a little more oil than they needed.

0 love notes: